Monday, March 30, 2009

Remarks on departing Hong Kong.






Sunday Market in Hong Kong
The ferry from Kowloon to Hong Kong Island

I wrote as we sailed in to Hong Kong and now as I sit here writing again we are sadly leaving. The time is 11.30 pm and the city lights are all on and they stream on it seems for miles and miles. I tried to put some more photos up but as soon as we drew away from the quay side the disconnect happened.

I have fallen in love with each port we've visited; each departure is difficult...what does the song say? Every time we say goodbye we die a little....sounds corny but it's so true. Did I say that Hong Kong was still so British? Well it's not.....English is hardly spoken in some areas, especially little shops and in the restaurants and markets. I was surprised. I'm sure after such a short visit I have many misconceptions but I really loved the atmosphere. I love the daring and flare which puts up higher and higher buildings of stunning design and colour so close together in the confined space. I remarked to George that HK must surely be on bed-rock because the thought of what would happen if there was an earthquake doesn't bear consideration.

I went into FaceSS to get a cleanser today and realised that in some places there is over employment. There were all these beautiful young women, dressed in black representing all the great cosmetics we know; Clinique, L'Oreal, Lancome etc etc, about 4 to each counter. They were chatting and putting on make up, looking in hand mirrors as they perfected their already perfect faces, not really interested in assisting anyone. One I spoke to had false eyelashes that were not only long but so thick we wondered how she could possibly keep her eyes open...George was intrigued! When I asked if they had those wonderfully convenient and easy cleansing 'wipes' she raised her eyebrows, pouted her bright red lips and said disdainfully "Oh no...we do not." I slunk away shamed.....

We had a boat drill tonight and it was fun. When I remember how stiff we all were the first few times we did this and how friendly and relaxed the whole operation is now that we know each other I realise how comfortable we have become with our friends on board. Sylvia, Ted, George, me, Nasim and Nilo are lined up together. We got into trouble tonight for laughing and making too much noise.....shamed again! George and I were a little disconcerted yesterday to discover from Linda our Guyanian cabin steward that we shall be getting into her 'raft' if necessary in an emergency because it's quicker to inflate that than to lower a life boat. Well our life boat, number B6, looks so huge and roomy and comparitively safe...but we didn't say anything to Linda who obviously prefers rafts....just to each other afterwards...Did you hear what she said!?

We now have two days at sea before Shanghai. (Liz I shall take lots of photos of your birth place I promise. ) The ship is fairly empty, so many have flown ahead to Beijing and the Great Wall. We plan to relax....but that plan started off on the wrong foot tonight when the captain announced the 9.15 boat drill! So keep your fingers crossed for smooth sailing and peace from calamity!

No comments: