Friday, March 27, 2009

Hopefully some writing that resists cyberspace

I'm going to attempt to get this blog published....I have lost two.



We are about half way across the South china sea on our way to Hong Kong. It is still very hot outside and as usual terribly cold in the Union! The sea is getting a little bit rougher but we have had fun watching the Red Foot Boobies flying around the ship and catching flying fish just as they leap out of the water.



To return to Vietnam; our stay in the Catien National Park was wonderful. it was very tropical and reminded me so much of Nigeria. I shall try and put a couple of photos of the bugs who visited our bedroom at night....like Texas everything seems bigger in Catien! It was a deja vu experience for us both sleeping under mosquito nets: I awoke with one of the little buzzers right in my ear. I did my instinctive slap, realised I had hit myself fairly hard and probably sent mossie down my ear canal....but no more problems from him. I was wary getting up to go to the loo wondering what I might feel underfoot but survived those trips too.



The highlight for me in terms of survival was the 'great trek' which I had been worrying about from day 1. The guides were insistent that I came because of the lunch that we would have half way and the rest then at the little thatched house overlooking crocodile lake. (I feel I have written all this before because I have...twice!) The trail was difficult because it was rocky and I thanked all the gods that I had splurged on some $17.00 (?!) runners in Cadiz. They functioned amazingly well. The heat was pretty overwhelming for us all but at least there was jungle all around and we walked mostly on a very narrow but shaded trail. The traditional meal was wonderful, all cooked on a wood stove in an airless hut by one man. We stayed there about two hours before the return journey so I found a cool and private spot and meditated before we set out on the return hike. I have never been so elated as when I walked out of the forest on to the dirt road and saw the rickety old truck that would take us back to our basic but oh so cool rooms!



George and I frequented the bar because it too was cool. It was an open structure, thatched and overlooking the river so there was almost always a breeze. Some of the students cycled on old rented bikes and explored the area more thoroughly than we did. Have I mentioned that we also did a river trip in an open but shaded motorised river boat, bird watching and river bank scrutinising? Well that's what we did before dinner on our first afternoon.



On the first evening after supper (and after dark) we went out on the aforementioned truck, tearing along the road, sitting on slatted wooden seats at the back, to look for animals. There are supposed to be elephant and even small tigers in the forest. All we saw were 4 boars and the tail end of a deer. The night sky was amazing, absolutely sparkling with stars, and made the whole drive worth while. We were nearly blinded and scratched a few times as the truck dashed along betweenthe over hanging trees and the guide (Chong) stood up front dramatically waving a huge flashlight into the bush and trees on both sides. I thought we were travelling far too fast to spot anything...any animal would have lots of warning of the on-coming blunderbus and would steer clear. That's obviously what they did!

There was another walk to a waterfall the last day but I stayed home and read my book. It was a good call apparently as George said they had to scramble over rocks most of the way. I think my runners would have finally given up the ghost!

Lunch was enlivened by the fact that there was a celebration going on for about 100 members of the Communist party and Ho Chi Minh league which you have to join if ever you want to get a decent job. We couldn't believe the noise they made....they were doing these ritualistic shouts leading up to a great roar, every few minutes. We asked Ve what it was all about and he said they were into the rice wine and it was simply One, Two, Three, DRINK! They became extremely merry and asked us to join them which we did. The rice wine tasted foul to me but G. and the students managed to knock back one or two and the whole occasion was very friendly.

We left and walked down to the ferry to cross the river at about 1.30pm and were back on board ship in Saigon at 4.30 ...not bad considering we hit rush hour. We were so sad to leave Ve; he gave each of us (George and me) a huge hug and we all felt almost tearful. It's hard to accept that you will never see someone again whom, in the space of a very short time you have become close to and truly appreciated.

I listened to the student reflections on Vietnam that evening in the Union. Most had visited either ambodia and the Killing Fields or the Saigon war Museum and were deeply distressed and emotional when they spoke. Few had known much about either and the impact was great.

I can't believe I have made it this far into the blog so before anything happens I'm going to publish it. Possibly more later. it remains only to say loud and clear,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATIE...HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: