Saturday, March 21, 2009

1st day in Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh City/Saigon

This morning after we have had our Diplomatic pre-port lecture in the Union we shall be going ashore. Apparently we dock only about a mile away from the city centre which sounds very convenient. We gather that the traffis consisting of motorbikes, mopeds, cycle rickshaws, motorised rickshaws AND cars is dense and scary and that crossing a road is an adventure!

A heads up: As we shall be on board for the next two nights I should be able to enter a blog. However we shall be away in cat Sien park after that for 2 nights when I shall not be writing. Thank you to those of you who have recently written long emails to me, I appreciate it so much; Dia, Jo and Fiona. The broadband from the ship has been letting us down so badly I am not writing emails unless there's a very good reason and I'm getting up early to get into the blog so that you all receive our news.

A plea for help: Could you all make sure you keep in touch somehow with Dylan Moumblow, I heard from Ron Hebbard that he has been in touch and would like to involve Dylan in some way at DLT. Any ideas? Sally and Stan? I gather the chemo has not worked so far and Dylan may be in for more surgery. shall now leave this in your compassionate, capable hands......

I have just been out on our balcony and we are going up a narrow river with heavily wooded banks (exciting!) and the sun is rising but on the other (starboard0 side of the ship Must shower and get dressed and rush to assist the pilot and captain.(?!) A few years ago the previous SAS ship sunk a rice barge on its way into Saigon!

No comments: