Monday, January 26, 2009

two more sleeps to Cadiz

The students are sooo excited about Spain! We arrive in Cadiz on Wednesday 28th, the day after tomorrow. As we sail further North we can feel the increasing swells of the ocean and stronger winds; our ship is rockin'! In more ways than one, the growing student energy is palpable.

We are still losing an hour each night and it becomes darker and darker in the mornings and correspondingly more difficult to get up. If we find it hard the students for the most part find it well nigh impossible! The breakfast dining room hasn't been as empty since Nassau! At noon some students were eating their first foodof the day. Meals shut down right on the second and if you are two minutes late the food has disappeared and you're out of luck.

We have had some wonderful talks on Spain given by a professor who leaves us in Cadiz. He is articulate, very knowledgeable and something of a comedian; all of which makes him exremely popular with the students. Our theatre prof is similar and it's like watching a stand up comic in class....I find I am learning certainly but laughing all the way to knowledge!

paiin because there were no seats available by the time G and i arrived and the entand we have a rehearsal from 9-10:30 pm tonight...shall I be wakeful enough to declaim my lines? it is all going to be larger than life and the cast probably masked....not really my choice of play but it's fun doing it. (God help the audience!)

I just snuk out of a mandatory lecture on Spain because there were no more seats available when G and I showed up and standing for an hour as we pitched and swayed was difficult to say the least...besides the entertaining part was over and I had this to complete before rehearsal! That's my story and I'm sticking to it....

Better make my way to classroom 4, aft, port side! (have to use nautical terminology just to prove I'm a sailor at heart..). By the way did you know that the word 'posh' comes from the preferable sides of the ship for travellers to India in the Empire/Colonial days were 'port out, starboard home'? Out being UK to India and home the reverse.

Good night sweet amigos, may flights of angels sing you to your rest.

No comments: