Saturday, February 28, 2009

Sunday at sea

Yesterday, the 28th February was our Olympics day. I discover something new about myself every day on this voyage and yesterday I knew I was not a 'joiner'. The intensity of enthusiasm generated by these team sports cannot be reached any more by me...I am a willing observer at times but no longer a player. However it was fun to watch the young men and women showing enormous energy and talent as they performed their games; pass the orange (!), synchronised swimming, volley ball, mashed potato sculptures etc etc and I did take photographs. George did try to pass the orange but had great difficulty passing it on after successfully taking it....he blames the bearded prof who was on the receiving end!

I have also discovered how much at times I enjoy my own company, just reading or sea gazing. This often happens when I am supposed to be learning lines for the play! Twas ever thus...I remember darning socks (this dates me!) when I was supposed to be swotting for my nursing exams or tidying drawers which I never willingly did at any other time!

We were lucky with the weather yesterday...touch wood the Indian Ocean is being beautifully calm and the atmosphere is hot and humid on the decks. (Everywhere else is over-air conditioned. Hence the rash of upper respiratory infections.)

There was an incredibly dramatic sunset last night yellow going to orange and on to a deep ruby red. Huge clouds added to the myriad of colours to which photographs will never do justice but I did take some. I am having great difficulty adding photos to my blog at the moment....apologies. i shall continue to try.

Our 'family' are visiting us in our cabin at 5 pm tonight just for a chat and catch-up. We have been so busy since Namibia there really hasn't been time to keep in touch. It will be interesting to hear what they did in our three ports and what their feelings are about this great adventure.

No comments: