Sunday, February 8, 2009

Bunkering in Dakkar

Sunday february 9th

As I write we are in Dakkar getting refueled. I finally feel Africa; actuallyI can smell Africa! The docks, where I am certain French pidgin is being spoken, surround us and fishing boats pass the ship heading for home. There is a loud hum of machines, African voices and activity. I was sitting in the middle of a Shakespeare lecture as we sailed in and found it increasingly difficult to concentrate on Freyberg's pyramid when I knew we had arrived. However we are a long distance from the centre of town and the skyscrapers of the city line the horizon on our starboard side. It could easily be Lagos or Accra....all cities have a similarity from the sea these days....except Cape Town and I'm sure Walvis Bay....they will look utterly different. I am excited to see Table Mountain again soon; it towered over me for six long adolescent years.

George is to lead the Robben Island Tour in cape Town which delights me as I found it fascinating to see exactly where the imprisoned Nelson Mandela lived and worked (the shadeless quarry with the cave which became the ANC members meeting place). Also the sea view of Cape Town on the way there and back is stunning.

Why am I talking Cape Town while anchored in Dakkar, Senegal? Because I know I am finally back in Africa and I rejoice!

No comments: