Thursday, April 16, 2009

Our everchanging view and early sea travels





The first image was what I saw when I opened my eyes at 6 am this morning. The others, which in no way do it justice, are of last night's rainbow.
This ship was built for speed and we suspected that at night Captain Kingston ordered the stabilisers to be pulled in because we seem to roll as we swish along at speed and getting up during the night can be a sort drunken stagger if you're half asleep. So I collared him and asked and he confirmed our suspicions.
We had an interesting converation in which I discovered that he had spent his early years at sea working for the BI shipping line (British India) on which I had travelled as a child and adult on our way 'home' (UK) from India and many years later from Kenya. (I have counted up my sea voyages and they are nine or ten; India to the UK, UK to Zanzibar, Zanzibar to Bombay, Bombay to Cape Town, Cape Town to UK, Mombasa to UK, Lagos to UK , UK to Lagos, UK to Accra and Accra to UK.) And then, apart from cruises which don't count, there is this last voyage, nearly 4 months long from Miami, round the world to Fort Lauderdale. It explains why I feel so much at home on a ship. Of course sometimes we travelled by air to the various countries in which John and I lived and worked but our preference was always a sea voyage and with nearly three months home leave we had the time.
Two memorable voyages we took when I was a child were during the war (WW2). We sailed from Zanzibar to Bombay and Bombay to Cape Town at a time when there were submarines in the Indian ocean. The second crossing was made in convoy with other ships on the SS Britannic, which was also, at that time, partially a troop ship. I remember that as one of the only children on board I was spoiled with sweets and gifts and lots of attention. In retrospect I suspect these men were missing their own children or simply the normalcy of being part of a family. The gifts came particularly when I was 'out of action' with malaria.
I think of this voyage we're on now and the great pleasure of having children on board. There is one little girl of about two yrs old who is a real ship board child. She now walks happily with a sailor's gait and takes absolutely everything in her stride; boat drills, the huge crowded dining rooms, the swaying corridors, lining up to get passports, different countries and people..she never stops smiling. I don't think I have ever seen Elly cry! She is loved by all, students and others alike...
Later: Breakfast was a less amusing conversation this morning; Nilo, Theresa and Ted (director of The Persians) and myself. Our women-inspired (perhaps too lofty a word!) discussions have to shift focus somewhat if we are joined by a man and I always regret that. Interesting that there are things we would talk and joke about as women which are 'stifled' the moment a man joins the group...I suspect that this works both ways. (Feminism...or something..rears its ugly head!)
Something I feel inadequate to deal with and which happens frequently on board is the two way conversation at a table between four people, and it happens in larger groups. I am always tempted to quietly sneak away, however it is sometimes myself who has been engaged one way and I do feel trapped.
I have learned quite a bit about myself on this ship....my need for space and time out heading the list....then, my terrible sense of direction. ( It is really non existent..even on the ship!) If George says 'why don't you go off on your own' I panic, thinking, what if I get lost, what if I miss the ship, what if... what if...? This is definitely not the way I have felt before in my life when I would happily explore new places on my own. Perhaps advancing years play a part.
I have also enjoyed observing others. The most striking observation has been that some young people are unaware of the effect their actions have on others. It is not unusual in the dining room for instance for there to be a birthday party happening at one of the tables and there is not the slightest restraint in the excitement and noise emanating from that table; it is as though no one else was present in the room. Obviously birthday parties are fun. and should be. but the very fact that one becomes irritated and ultimately appalled at the racket is an indication of just how loud it is. Groups of students will gather on staircases, in corridors and in the narrow space where we line up for the meal buffets. They will not necessarily move, be aware of anyone attempting to pass or hear an 'excuse me'. When/if they do move aside they do so without a glance of acknowledgement, as if their position is an entitlement into which you are the intruder.
HOWEVER that said, there are students aboard this ship whom we have come to know and like enormously; they are sensitive, intelligent, mature and are, as one would expect from university students who have chosen to come on this long educational voyage, wonderful to interact with. They have great senses of humour and are unfailingly polite, good natured and un-spoiled. Many have worked very hard to be here and they have certainly reached a different level of maturity from those who Mummy and Daddy support most generously throughout the trip. I realise anew what a gift it is to give your children independence; my parents were certainly forced to give it to me and I think I passed it on to my own daughters willy nilly.....more by habit than good judgement. Fortunately I believe that our children forgive us more than we deserve!
Enough preaching...off to lunch on the deck to watch the albatrosses who are following the ship. Huge wing spans (up to 7 ft) skimming the sea-tops and swooping back and forth...lovely sight!

No comments: