Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Persians...not geographically...

It is 11. 45 pm on Tuesday 14th and we have just finished our dress rehearsal. I can't tell you how terrified I feel about performing this play; my nerves are frayed just trying to keep up with the speed at which it is being done and understanding the American accents! It is bad enough doing Greek tragedy but rushing it so that the speech is almost garbled defeats me entirely. However I do think the fault is mine, my mind has slowed down probably. I think the student audience will possibly find it hilarious which was never the intention! When we were being directed in our curtain call tonight the chatter of the cast never ceased, the whoops and giggles almost drowned out the Director's words.....I guess we are alot more disciplined in Community theatre than I ever imagined. This whole experience has been a revelation to me; I honestly don't believe Canadian university students, interested in theatre would behave in this fashion...none that I have worked with anyway. That all said though, these are delightful 'kids' whom I like alot....perhaps the fault lies with the Director. There are two students who play messengers who are excellent, one in particular is outstanding. The director does not exert much authority, but again he is such a likeable guy. Lisbie and Dia....I need you and miss you! George has lent his voice (recorded) but otherwise has kept well away. However he is very supportive of his moaning, groaning wife!

Sorry! This must make deadly dull reading but I know so many of you will sympathise. As I said the weather is now gentle and warm and the sea calm again. We have another five days to Hawaii and I am enjoying the peace of no ports....but as you will have gathered I am looking forward to Saturday when the play will be behind us. If you read this on the 15th or 17th send me a 'Break a Leg'!

And now to sleep perchance to dream....the actor's nightmare?!

1 comment:

Irene said...

Hi maggie,
Just a note to say "break a leg" - and hope I am not too late given the time difference between Scotland and Pacific Ocean somewhere!
Just exploring the world of blog so watch this space!!
take care,

Irene