Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The end of our voyage

Tuesday, 6th May

There have been a series of 'lasts': last class for George, last paper corrected, last lunch with 'family', last lunch and dinner, last 5 pm drinks in the Faculty lounge, last scrabble game with Sue, Emmett and Theresa, last time Theresa comes in to our cabin in the evening to chat and share a drink, last sunset which brough a huge collected groan from students, faculty and everyone else and this morning at 4.30 am for me first and last time of seeing a magnificent 'moon set'. I awoke to see through the glass of our balcony door a huge, round, red/orange globe in the sky. At first I thought 'is that a strange sunrise?' and then realised that it was the biggest moon I have ever seen, sinking slowly towards a black ocean. I rushed outside and watched; there was a sky full of sparkling stars, lights on the horizon (Miami? Fort lauderdale?) and this incredible orb slowly sinking and disappearing. What a gift for my last morning at sea!

Everyone's emotions are labile: lots of laughter and many, many tears, sometimes both at the same time. We have shared this incredible journey for nearly 4 months, living in such close proximity to each other....professors have never been so accessible to students. My prof/director for example is in the next door cabin. Profs are questioned as they line up for meals or when they're eating out on the dining room deck or there might be a tentative knock at their cabin doors.

Most importantly relationships and friendships have been formed in which more time has been spent together than would normally happen over years at home. Now, today, suddenly we are all going in our several and separate directions and for some of the students particularly this is traumatic. It isn't easy for us either. I can't believe that someone else will soon be in my cabin...my home! That Nilo, Theresa, Pam, Beth, Sue and I wil not be sharing any more women-only breakfasts or sharing our stories and our loot!!

Emmett said yesterday with youthful passion, after beating us again at Scrabble, "tomorrow is going to be the worst day of my life". This has been I think an amazing experience for this wonderfully intellient and delightful 14 year old (going on 40!) young man, whom we have all grown to love. He has a vulnerable quality alternating with brash confidence and often to our surprise behaves like any other 14 year old......one has to constantly adjust to Emmett! He lost his mother some years ago and I know I am very conscious of this void in his life. He goes to school in Montreal and has inherited his grandfather's(Alex) gift for languages. Both were excellent students in George's classes. His grandmother, Bea, is German, a language which Emmett has chosen apparently, not to speak. I think he will be visiting us in Ontario at some point; he will love being with all three grandchildren. He is a great companion for much younger and much older people in his life. He cries easily and there will certainly be tears shed today.

We have packed and our luggage has been taken away except for our back packs. Breakfast starts at 6 am (in 15 minutes...George is asleep an i haven't showered yet!) and we think/hope faculty and staff disembark first. We are spending one night in Fort Lauderdale (Springhill Suites, Marriott at the Airport) and flying home on Air Canada (Tango) to Canada tomorrow.

I shall write more when I get home. Greetings to Theresa's friends and Molly's grandparents, whom I have never met but who have been following our travels on my blog. I have enjoyed your company! Au revoir........

No comments: